Due to overwhelming response, we are no longer accepting applications for this position. Thank you for your interest.
Since 1992, CAPE has engaged students, inspired teachers, transformed schools, and demonstrated impact by weaving the arts into academic classrooms across Chicago. CAPE is a fiscally sound organization that has a successful history of receiving support from private and public sources.
To further the reach and impact of CAPE’s work, we seek a trustworthy, dedicated, and lively professional to serve as our Development & Communications Associate. Working for CAPE, the Development & Communications Associate will have the opportunity to support and to build upon a growing network of individual donors by contributing to individual giving efforts, organizing special events, collaborating with CAPE’s Board of Directors and Associate Board, and developing and implementing marketing and communications strategies. The Development & Communications Assistant will report to the Executive Director and will coordinate their work with CAPE’s Communications Manager and Grant Writer.
CAPE is an equal opportunity employer and we are eager to recruit a diverse pool of candidates who reflect the array of talents, values, and experiences that Chicago has to offer.
- Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; Benefits include insurance, 401k with matching, etc.
- Status: Full-time, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, plus occasional evenings and weekends as needed
- Reports to: Executive Director
- Starting Date: As soon as possible, based on availability
- Location: Chicago only. Work-from-home status until at least 2nd quarter 2021; will transition to in-office work in Chicago when it is safe to do so, with the possibility for some remote hours
- Support the participation of executive staff in donor and prospect meetings by setting up meeting logistics, including providing briefing materials and funding recommendations, and follow up materials such as solicitations, touchpoints, etc.
- Provide administrative support to individual fundraising campaign activities, including scheduling and connecting with potential and current donors by phone, email, and in person
- Work with Communications Manager to create and distribute fundraising mailings (physical and digital), including calendar maintenance, printing, and mailing
- Maintain and update information in CAPE’s donor management database and create reports as needed by CAPE board and staff
- Receive and process individual contributions, including online database entry, filing, sending thank you letters, and making thank you calls
- Engage in quarterly meetings to reconcile financial records with Office Manager’s QuickBooks accounting
- Facilitate donor meetings on a variety of online platforms, Zoom, GoToMeeting, Facetime, or other.
- Coordinate with the CAPE program staff to visit CAPE classrooms and/or professional development workshops to capture high quality photographs and conduct interviews on video
- Contribute to the development of storylines for CAPE’s newsletter, printed materials and social media
- Edit video into clips for use in social media, the CAPE website, special events, etc.
- Help to maintain and update the CAPE website and social media channels
- Assist in planning, execution, and follow up related to all of CAPE’s fundraising events, the annual luncheon, gallery events, and other smaller donor events
- Assume event duties as requested
Board and Volunteer Relations
- Participate in the CAPE Board of Directors Development and Marketing Committees
- Manage the work of the CAPE Associate Board by organizing meetings and communications
- Work with the Executive Director to schedule committee meetings and confirm attendance
- Attend and take minutes at board and committee meetings as needed
- Participate in weekly Advancement Team meetings, Communications Team meetings, and full staff meetings
- Lead by example with a positive attitude, and goal-oriented, focused approach to developing internal and external relationships that result in increased funding for CAPE
- Act in a team-centric, results-oriented manner, anticipating needs and promoting completion of numerous projects
- Communicate clearly and eloquently, always acting as an ambassador for CAPE among donors and across departments within the organization
- Become an expert in CAPE’s brand, messaging, and voice
- Become an expert in specific program areas to raise restricted support for special projects
- Exhibit always strong donor-centric motives in the cultivation and stewardship of donor prospects, volunteers and donors that result in increased revenue for CAPE
- Respect and ensure the strict privacy of donors’ financial records and personal information
- Handle confidential materials with sensitivity and discretion
These are required qualifications. Please review them carefully before submitting an application.
- Bachelor’s degree in arts, education, nonprofit management, communications, journalism or a related field
- Ability to articulate a passion for the arts, public education, community building, and social justice
- Passion for engaging with potential and current donors, both one-on-one and in group settings
- Ability to contribute new ideas and execute existing plans, both independently and as part of a team
- Experience in planning and executing virtual events or fundraisers
- Proficiency in: Word; Excel; Google Apps; Zoom or similar virtual conversation platforms; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn; and photo and video editing software
- Knowledgeable about digital photography and video (planning, production, interviewing, tools, and basic editing software), with the ability to produce high quality photographs and capture video and audio in busy settings without additional on-site assistance
- Experience with customer relationship management (CRM) software such as Bloomerang or SalesForce, strongly preferred
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally to schools located all across Chicago once in-person learning resumes (Drivers’ license required)
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills that can be adapted for different audiences
- Three years of previous experience in non-profit communications or fundraising preferred, or equivalent related experience
2. At the end of the form, you’ll be asked to upload a PDF of your resume. Please use the following file naming format for your PDF: LastName_FirstName_CAPE.pdf.