Since 1992, CAPE has engaged students, inspired teachers, transformed schools, and demonstrated impact by weaving the arts into academic classrooms across Chicago. CAPE is a fiscally sound organization that has a successful history of receiving support from private and public sources. More information is available at capechicago.org
To support CAPE’s work, we seek a trustworthy, dedicated, and detail-oriented individual to serve as our permanent, full-time Accounting Manager. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Accounting Manager will perform functions to manage the financial affairs of the organization and prepare financial analysis of operations to guide management decision making. The Accounting manager will ensure financial reports are accurate and timely for CAPE Management and Board members.
CAPE is an equal opportunity employer and we’re eager to recruit a diverse pool of candidates who reflect all the talents, values, and experiences that Chicago has to offer.
Since 1992, CAPE has engaged students, inspired teachers, transformed schools, and demonstrated impact by weaving the arts into academic classrooms across Chicago. CAPE is a fiscally sound organization that has a successful history of receiving support from private and public sources.
To further the reach and impact of CAPE’s work, we seek a trustworthy, dedicated, and lively professional to serve as our Development & Communications Associate. Working for CAPE, the Development & Communications Associate will have the opportunity to support and to build upon a growing network of individual donors by contributing to individual giving efforts, organizing special events, collaborating with CAPE’s Board of Directors and Associate Board, and developing and implementing marketing and communications strategies. The Development & Communications Assistant will report to the Executive Director and will coordinate their work with CAPE’s Communications Manager and Grant Writer.
CAPE is an equal opportunity employer and we are eager to recruit a diverse pool of candidates who reflect the array of talents, values, and experiences that Chicago has to offer.
- Compensation: $60,000 to $65,000 annually plus benefits. Benefits include insurance, 401k with matching, etc.
- Status: Full-time, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, plus occasional evenings and weekends as needed
- Reports to: Executive Director
- Starting Date: As soon as possible, based on availability
- Location: Chicago only. Work-from-home status until at least 2nd quarter 2021; will transition to in-office work in Chicago when it is safe to do so, with the possibility for some remote hours
- Work with the Executive Director and program staff to establish organizational and program budgets.
- Direct the preparation of journal entries and coordinate month-end closing procedures, review accrual accounts for adequate balances, review trial balance and general ledger and prepare statements.
- Monitor daily cash flow by reviewing credit receipts and credit disbursements and prepare reports for record-keeping purposes.
- Prepare financial statements for senior staff and board review.
- Maintain the company’s system of accounts.
- Participate in the planning of business goals and budgets to be carried out by the organization.
- Assist auditors in the preparation of the financial year end analysis.
- Act as company liaison with banking institutions regarding situations such as loan activity, accounts information and foreign currency transactions.
- Oversee the preparation of payroll tax returns and general tax returns to comply with federal and state guidelines.
- Analyze open account payable ledger to determine which vendors will receive payment based on programmatic and organizational activities.
- Audit open account receivable ledger on a monthly basis to determine appropriate actions to initiate.
- Evaluate and recommend policy and procedure changes affecting any financial aspect of the company.
- Monitor all account receivable and account payable transactions and interface with the general ledger to determine if any adjustments are necessary.
- Prepare indirect cost negotiations
- Attend CAPE Board and Finance Committee meetings as needed.
Perform other related duties as assigned.
These are required qualifications. Please review them carefully before submitting an application.
- Degree in Accounting or related field, graduate degree in accounting preferred
- At least 5 years of accounting experience
- Expert in Quickbooks Desktop and Quickbooks Online
- Proficient in Google Apps; Knowledge of Salesforce and Paylocity a plus.
- Experience working with federal, state and local government grant agreements and contracts.
- Experience with non-profit organizations
- CAPE is currently working remotely and taking all necessary precautions due to COVID-19. This position will likely remain remote for the foreseeable future (at least through 2021). This position may require regular time in our office once it is safe to return
- Applicants must undergo background checks, fingerprinting, and other related tasks as necessitated by compliance with program partners and funders
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, filing cabinets
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to operate office equipment.
- Workplace is a smoke- and drug-free environment
Equal Opportunity Employer
It has been and will continue to be the policy of CAPE to be fair and impartial in all of its relations with its employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. This policy applies to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, and all other personnel actions and conditions of employment such as compensation, benefits, layoffs and reinstatements, training, tuition assistance, and disciplinary measures. Decisions regarding employment and promotion will be based solely only upon valid job- related factors
Any employees with questions or concerns about any type of discrimination in the workplace are encouraged to bring these issues to the attention of Chicago Arts Partnerships in Education staff. Employees can raise concerns and make reports without fear of reprisal. Anyone found to be engaging in any type of unlawful discrimination will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
2. Please use the form to submit a cover letter and resume in a single .pdf file.